Describe work & life prior to Goldacres.
As you might have guessed from the name, Darroch hails from Scotland. He began his working life as a Chef which was how he met his future wife (a Ballarat local), who was traveling Scotland on a working holiday. Darroch followed her back to Australia and continued working as a chef at various locations, a successful career that spanned 13 years.
What prompted you to apply for a job at Goldacres?
At the time Darroch felt being a Chef was no longer rewarding as it demanded long hours, weekend work, high stress, not family-friendly, and he felt unappreciated. It was at this time he decided to change direction and completed an engineering course at BGT then began as an apprentice fitter and turner. Partway through his apprenticeship, he found himself out of work and attempting to find new employment to complete his trade. He applied for a job on the assembly line at Goldacres with the intention that it would only be temporary until he was able to secure a new role enabling him to complete his apprenticeship. But that was never to be…
List the various roles you have undertaken:
- Assembly trailer line (3 months)
- Self-propelled line, specialising in axles, utilising experience from fitting and turning (4 years)
- Self-propelled line, building engines (1 year)
- G4 line (short period)
- Core/small product line, co-ordinating necessary engineering drawings for production (1 year)
- Booms/Testing & Quality Control, promoted to Leading Hand (1 year). Then as business grew and roles needed to be split into two, decided to specialise as
- Booms Leading Hand (current)
In addition, Darroch was also the Health and Safety Representative for a 3-year period. This involved attending an external Worksafe course to gain further qualifications.
What do you like about working at Goldacres & motivates you to stay?
- “After 8 years, I feel like the good far outweighs any bad”.
- “Really love working Monday to Friday and not weekends”.
- “I feel valued and appreciated by being told ‘thank you’. Also feels the monthly lunch is a ‘thank you’ from Goldacres General Manager”.
- “Great managers who see workers as people, not robots”.
- “Safety is very important for all staff”.
- “Great co-workers and everyone is willing to help”.
- “Social club was great when it was able to run” (pre- covid restrictions).
What do you enjoy most in your free time?
Darroch has spent many hours renovating his family home as well as taking on some impressive landscaping projects. He DJ’s on occasion for fun and makes his own electronic music. He also enjoys spending time with his family.
What advice would you give to anyone considering applying for a job?
“Take pride in your work and your workspace. If you can do that, you will succeed”.